I assembled a board received last week, and really enjoyed the project. The instruction booklet was very clear and all tests during assembly went well.
I did a bench test and had some problems with pin assignments since I had followed an internet post that had drive and step pins reversed. Once I stumbled across the correct pin assignments everything worked.
I was playing around with increasing velocity and acceleration settings in Mach3, since I had set them very low for initial testing, and found the Z axis quit working. I inspected the board and discovered a short (1/4″ long) single wire strand from the motor wire had found its way under the board and was sitting across a couple pins of the Z axis stepper driver chip. I changed motors around to make sure there was no problem there, and my tests suggest that something on the board has failed.
Is there a test I can do to isolate the problem. I have only a multimeter to test with.