Prebuild questions (From email)

Welcome to HobbyCNC.com Forums DIY CNC Router Plans Prebuild questions (From email)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BrianV 3 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

BrianV
    Keymaster

Hi, I am thinking of buying a kit here in the near future. I have already bought the plans and had a few questions. 1. Are there any extra considerations I should make if I opt to use acme screws instead of threaded rod? 2. Does it make sense to build the actual bed and carriage prior to ordering the motor/electronic kit or would you suggest waiting until I order the kit? 3. On sheet 1 or 3 of the x-axis sides diagram it doesn’t show what the measurement is for where the top of the mortise is supposed to start for the X-axis bearing rail. Can you supply some info for that? Lastly do you have a good source for the lovejoy hub and spider? I know you give the lovejoy link in the document but it doesn’t appear you can order from there. Thanks for your great site and answers, I am really looking forward to building my own here real soon!
    Greg S

BrianV
    Keymaster

1. Are there any extra considerations I should make if I opt to use acme screws instead of threaded rod?
    Not sure, sorry. I’d look at the ends of the screws to see how they would mount. It’s easy with the all-thread, but might take a bit more finesse with the acme rods. I don’t know if they are just smooth – for bushings or bearings – or threaded for a nut or “acme-to-the-end”. Either way, it shouldn’t be too much more complex.

2. Does it make sense to build the actual bed and carriage prior to ordering the motor/electronic kit or would you suggest waiting until I order the kit?
    That’s what I did. I built my first version as a “proof of concept”, then added the electronics. I incorporated all I learned into making my second one.

3. On sheet 1 or 3 of the x-axis sides diagram it doesn’t show what the measurement is for where the top of the mortise is supposed to start for the X-axis bearing rail. Can you supply some info for that?
    I’ll need to pull up the plans (can’t do right now) and work backwards from the hole for the axis drive screw.

Lastly do you have a good source for the lovejoy hub and spider? I know you give the lovejoy link in the document but it doesn’t appear you can order from there.
    https://www.grainger.com/category/couplings-collars-and-adapters/power-transmission/ecatalog/N-cl9Z1z0r59c#selectedFilter=Brand-nav

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest