Mixing different size motors

HomePage Forums Stepper Motor Questions Mixing different size motors

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BrianV
    Keymaster

(from email)
    Hi – I purchased a kit from your company several years that included the 205 oz stepper motors. I’ve been thinking of upgrading all 3 of them to the 305oz version but had a question. If I purchased just 1 of them for my Z axis, would that conflict with the other 2 stepper motors since they would still be 205 oz? Also, would I have to reconfigure Mach3 for the new 305 oz motor in the Z axis?

BrianV
    Keymaster

You can mix-and match stepper motors (as long as they are 5, 6 or 8 wire). Each axis is completely independent of the others. You can set the motor current independently (those little blue adjustable resistors). Check the assembly instructions for how to properly set the motor current.
    Regarding reconfiguring your software – most likely no, unless you were running a smaller motor at close to it’s maximum performance. A larger, heavier motor might need you to slow down the step and acceleration rates.

Marshall Baker
    Participant

The download link doesn’t bring you to the instructions?…It brings you to a page that says this is only available to customers. Please advise.

Best,

mkb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest