Missing Steps – weak motor?

HomePage Forums Stepper Motor Questions Missing Steps – weak motor?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BrianV
    Keymaster

(From Email)
    Hi Dave, I have been using your board for about 10 years or so never had any problems. great piece of kit. Now for 2 questions the “Y” axis is skipping, stalling, losing steps and I notice it does not seem to have the force to enable it to cut I used to be able to cut certain things years ago now when I cut using the same file it misses steps . I tried changing the “X” and “Y” outputs. this has no effect and I assume the board is still good. Do these 305 oz steppers wear out loose there efficiency? Question 2. I have mach 3 and it is great but I need to change over to windows 10 operating system and believe I need a motion controller as parallel port is not available does your board connect to the motion controller with out modifying it. I also have your foam cutting board and like all your products has never failed me can this board also be used with a motion controller? Whilst I am writing this email and I still remember the advise you gave me all those years ago. What motion controller would you recommend? Love your product and hope for an answer to my email. Happy new year Tony (Australia)

BrianV
    Keymaster

Dear Tony, Dave has retired at the end of 2015. I purchased HobbyCNC from him – it is too nice of a product to just let it “go away”. I’ll take a shot at your questions:

I have been using your board for about 10 years or so never had any problems. great piece of kit.
    Thanks!
    The “Y” axis is skipping, stalling, losing steps.
    Tony, this can happen for LOTS of reasons besides the stepper motor. Please do look through the FAQ Missing steps – motor not behaving properly
    Do these 305 oz steppers wear out loose there efficiency?
    Sure, moving things do wear out. It might be a pain, but try swapping motors between the axis.
    I have mach 3 and it is great but I need to change over to windows 10 operating system and believe I need a motion controller as parallel port is not available does your board connect to the motion controller without modifying it.
    We are compatible with any board that provides a “Step and Direction” output, which is most of them. Most have parallel-port-pin-compatible outputs (like SmoothStepper). Our board will work just fine with them with no modifications.
    I also have your foam cutting board and like all your products has never failed me can this board also be used with a motion controller? What motion controller would you recommend?
    Well, I did not purchase any of the ‘legacy’ (old, long-ago discontinued) products, and I have no experience with foam cutting. I’ll ping Dave, perhaps he can chime in here.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest