Gantry problem

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BrianV 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Federico Vallenas
    Participant

I decided to make a better spoil-board(15×24) that I can entirely surface. Just before surfacing, looking for the lowest part of the bed, I notice a movement on my gantry of almost 1/4″. See yellow arrows on the picture
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Attachments:

BrianV
    Keymaster

Wow, a quarter inch is HUGE!!!

Without seeing your gantry, I’d guess that there is far too much slop between the bearing and the associated angle iron.

This is a “test as you go” dimension. Again, I’m guessing that the Linear Bearing Mount (orange in the image below) needs to be ‘longer’, such that it pushes the bearings tightly to the base.

YOu may need to make a replacement, you might be able to shim the bearings.
    The fit needs to ‘pinch’ these two parts together (see red arrows) tightly, so the axis still rolls smoothly AND there is no slop between any of the parts.

Attachments:

Federico Vallenas
    Participant

Thanks, Brian that’s exactly what fixed the bearings slop. I’ve shimmed each side with 60 mils and the gantry looks very sturdy,
    To avoid disassembling too much I clamped one piece of wood to the gantry inside over the table, loosing the two bottom bolts of the gantry was enough to complete the shimming.
    Now I have to surface only 15 mils of the table to have a decently leveled spoil-board.
    Again, thank you very much!

1 user thanked author for this post.

BrianV
    Keymaster

Thank you for closing the loop on this issue. This will help others in the future!
    BrianV

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest