Driving 2 motors for one axis

HomePage Forums HobbyCNC PRO 3 & 4 Axis Board Assembly Driving 2 motors for one axis

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BrianV
    Keymaster

From Bob J via email:
    I purchased your 3 axis kit circuit board several years ago and it has worked great. I would like to move it to a different machine now, but the machine I want to power with it has 2 X-axis stepper motors. If I purchase the 4th axis upgrade for the board, can I use the 4th axis on the board to control the second x-axis stepper on the machine? Would it be possible to just run a wire from the step pin on the x-axis to the step pin of the 4th axis or is there something else that needs to be done first?

BrianV
    Keymaster

I purchased your 3 axis kit circuit board several years ago and it has worked great. Thanks!

I would like to move it to a different machine now, but the machine I want to power with it has 2 X-axis stepper motors. If I purchase the 4th axis upgrade for the board, can I use the 4th axis on the board to control the second x-axis stepper on the machine? Yes!

Would it be possible to just run a wire from the step pin on the x-axis to the step pin of the 4th axis or is there something else that needs to be done first?

Here’s the deal. Yes, get and install the 4th Axis Upgrade.
    Then, you’ve got options here.
    First, the preferred option: Configure your software such that the Step and Direction signals for your X-axis are sent to BOTH the X and A axis’.

Second, you could add two ‘bodge’ wires to the board that would jumper the Step and Direction inputs to BOTH the X and A axis inputs. You will find the PRO input pin assignments on the HobbyCNC PRO product page (scroll down)

Don’t forget you need TWO signals: Step and Direction!

Regards, BrianV

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest