Before you post . . .

HomePage Forums Stepper Motor Questions Before you post . . .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BrianV
    Keymaster

The two most common issues with stepper motors are “One stepper motor is not working/behaving” and “No motor movement”. Both of these are addressed quite thoroughly in the FAQs (visible to HobbyCNC Customers only). Please check them first!
    FAQ: Missing steps – motor not behaving properly
    FAQ: No motor movement
    FAQ: Stepper motor wire colors and connections to HobbyCNC Boards

wayne adams
    Participant

How do I hookup two opposing drive motors on the X axes

BrianV
    Keymaster

The word “Opposing” has me confused.
    Do you mean one spinning CW and the other CCW, or (more commonly) do you want to “mirror” two steppers for a single axis (both spin the same direction and number of steps in sync).
    this is a great question that I do get asked from time-to-time, I’ll need to add it to the FAQs.
    Here’s the deal, you CAN NOT put two stepper motors onto one driver chip.
    Here’s how it’s done – for the sake of this discussion, let’s say you have two motors driving your Y-axis gantry:

• Connect one stepper motor to the “Y” axis output
    • Connect the second motor to the “A” axis output (one motor, one driver chip)
    • Your CAM software should allow you to define what pins are the step-and-direction for each axis. Configure the Y axis step and direction to BOTH the Y and A inputs.
    • If you want that second motor to spin the opposite direction, then, in your CAM software where you just assigned the Y outputs to the Y and A axis, select the option to invert one of the direction signals.

And that’s that!

[Edit: change to “Y-axis ganty”]

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by BrianV.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.